Type 2 diabetes is disease which is very common in modern ages. It is represented with symptoms which can be easily overlooked. Believe it or not one out of three people have no idea about it.
Diabetes represents very serious condition which causes many dangerous complications, for example, cardiovascular or neurological damage so, this is why it’s soon detection is very important.
Right diet, exercise regimen and medications if it is necessary can keep diabetes under control and the person who suffers from it will be able to continue living normal life.
Here are some warning signs of diabetes which can help you to start protecting your health.
Warning signs of Diabetes
Over 382 million people around the world in 2013 had diabetes and 90% of them had type- 2 diabetes. If you are wondering this diseases is metabolic which is characterized by high levels of sugar or glucose in the blood.
Insulin or its production which is pancreatic hormone and deals with balancing blood sugar levels can be either reduced or the cells would not respond to it properly. As result of it, the following symptoms are appearing:
- Frequent urination or polyuria – Warning sign can be the often urination or urinating during the night sometimes for several times. Kidneys usually start working much harder for getting rid of the excess glucose from blood.
- Excessive thirst or polydipsia – as you lose more fluids, the body will do anything to replace them so this symptom is automatically linked with the previous one and the need to drink is increased.
- Increased hunger or polyphagia – The body is developing big urge to eat due to the extreme highs and lows of the blood sugar levels. The cells do not get enough glucose so the body starts to crave it.
- Dry mouth –Dangerous and unpleasant can be the experience of lack of moisture in the mouth. Dry mouth usually attracts the bacteria and causes many oral and dental problems. Also, gum diseases represent complication of diabetes.
- Unexplained weight loss or weight gain – When the insulin would not be able to get glucose into the cells the body will be starving and will start using the proteins from the muscles. Losing from 10 up to 20 pounds over a couple of months is not healthy and requires the real cause for it. But, increased consumption of foods rich in sugar leads to weight gain.
- Fatigue – or also known as excessive tiredness is appearing when the body constantly compensates for the lack of glucose in the cells. Also, if your sleep is interrupted by urgency to urinate you would not do much of a help to it. People which are suffering from it will start feeling not well chronically will have lower levels of energy and also will be in a bad mood.
- Vision problems – When the sugar is high in the blood it also has negative effect on eyes and changes the shape of the lens and eyes. Your vision will become blurry. The vision will not only be disordered, you will also see occasional flashes of light. If the sugar levels remain high for longer period of time, the changes which are happening to your eyes may become permanent and lead to eyesight loss. Otherwise they are reversible.
- Headaches – Due to increased blood sugar levels, headache is developed and it represents an early sign of hyperglycemia or high blood glucose. When the condition becomes worse, the symptoms will also get worse.
- Bruises, infections, cuts that do not heal – It happens as consequence of blood vessel damage and it represents classical sign of diabetes. When excessive amounts of sugar are present in the veins and arteries they become less able to transport blood to the place that needs to be repaired and healed.
- Yeast infections – In sugar environment, bacteria and fungi thrive even more so, infections in this case will become more common. Yeast infections will be the most frequent ones, candida or vaginal candida infections in women for example.
- Tingling of hands and feet and numbness – This symptom is connected to diabetes and is happening as result of nerve damage or neuropathy. Swelling and burning pain are usually following in case of tingling or numbness. In case the sugar remains in high level, this damage can become permanent and serious complication of diabetes.
- Changes in skin – On the neck, groin and armpit, velvety dark skin or also known as achantosis nigricans can appear. Other unusual itchiness or skin changes may appear around the vaginal or groin area.
- Sexual dysfunction – Different sexual problems are following due to diabetes because it also damages the blood vessels and nerves in the sex organs. Men can have difficulty with erection and women can experience vaginal dryness. From 35% to 75% men which are suffering from diabetes experience impotence.
In case you are experiencing few of these symptoms, visit a doctor, do blood test and see for your own good are you suffering from type- 2 diabetes.
Reliable diagnosis can be accomplished by several tests. For example, the fasting plasma glucose test will check your sugar levels after 8 hours of fasting. If your blood sugar is above 126 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL) on two occasions it will mean that you have diabetes.
Lower values of 100 to 125 mg/dL are also worrying because this condition is considered as pre-diabetes.
Do not fall into despair; type- 2 diabetes to some degree is preventable disease. Many further complications of it can be avoided and prevented with the right moves.
Here are some of the risk factors for getting it:
- Overweight (at risk are especially people who have visceral obesity/ belly fat)
- Physical inactivity
- Consumption of unhealthy foods, red meat, unhealthy fats, sugars and processed food. Take in mind that one can of sugary soda can increase your risk of diabetes by 22%.
Just try to eat healthy and exercise moderately. Also, keep your stress levels under control and ignore all the bad habits that you have. As our age increases, the risk of diabetes also increases so, by staying active and living healthy lifestyle we will protect our health.