Coconut oil has been present since forever, but it used to have bad reputation. Coconut oil was labeled unhealthy due to its content of saturated fat which is more than 90%. However, the fat in coconut oil is beneficial and rich in nutrients, has antioxidant properties and aids the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins.
Coconut oil is also used as a skin moisturizer and as a hair product. The uses of coconut oil are numerous, nevertheless in this text you can read about 101 coconut uses.
Body and Skincare
- Skin Moisturizer. Use coconut oil instead of your regular lotion. You will soon feel its healing and refreshing powers.
- Face mask. Make your own mask. Mix a tablespoon of honey and a tablespoon of coconut oil. Apply on your face and leave it for 15 to 20 minutes. Wash your face with water afterwards.
- Reduces wrinkles. Applying coconut oil on your wrinkles will improve the texture, soften your skin and rehydrate it.
- Puffy eyes. Applying some coconut oil around your eyes before bed will reduce puffiness.
- Conditioner. Put 2 teaspoons of coconut oil in a container (small). Place the container into a bowl with water that is warmer than 76 degrees and the oil will soften. Apply it to wet hair and rub it well. Comb your hair to spread the oil. Leave it work for an hour then shampoo your hair and remove the oil.
- Against dandruff.Use the oil in the same way as described for a conditioner above.
- Prompts hair growth. If used on a daily basis coconut oil reduces breakage and strengthens the hair.
- Protects the hair from the Sun. Apply some coconut oil on your hair in the morning to protect it from the sun.
- Detangles hair. Apply some coconut oil on a wet hair and few minutes later comb your hair.
- Shaving cream. Coconut oil makes the hairs straight and this is especially useful for those with dry skin.
- Aftershave. It heals the skin from razor burn and soothes it as well.
- Lip balm. It moistens cracked or dry lips. It also protects from sun damage.
- Body scrub. Take a half cup of coconut oil and melt it. Mix it with 2 or 4 tablespoons of sugar (brown or white) and pour it into soap molds or muffin tins. Store it in the fridge so that it can solidify and then isolate it from the mild. Use this to scrub your body. Wash your body afterwards.
- Exfoliates the face. Make a mixture of baking soda and coconut oil in a ratio of 1:1 and apply ion the face. This will clean your skin from dead skin cells and any dirt.
- Exfoliates the feet. Mix coconut oil and sea salt in a ratio of 1:2 and scrub your feet’s soles with it.
- Exfoliates the lips. Make a mixture of 2 teaspoons of sugar (white or brown) and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil to soften your lips.
- Removes makeup. Apply some coconut oil on your face. Massage it gently and then wash your face. It will remove your make up without irritating your eyes or skin.
- Highlights cheekbones. Apply some coconut oil on your cheekbones and highlight them.
- Lotion. Mix a cup of each beeswax, shea butter and coconut oil in a mason jar with lid and put it in a saucepan with water and boil it until they melt. Add a teaspoon of vitamin E oil after you remove the jar for the water. Stir until the oils are mixed and then pour the oils into molds. Let them dry and remove them from the molds.
- Deodorant. Put ½ cup of each beeswax, shea butter and coconut oil in a mason jar. Put it in hot water and melt it. After it is melt add ½ cup of arrowroot powder, three tablespoons of baking soda and one teaspoon of Vitamin E oil. Pour into molds and let it cool.
- Massage oil. Its antioxidants and moisturizing powers are great for the muscles.
- Softens the elbows .Rub some oil on your dry or cracked elbows.
- For cracked heels. Regular use of coconut oil prevents cracked heels.
- Treatment for nails and cuticles. Rub some oil on your cuticles every night prior to going to bed.
- Reduces stretch marks. Regular use of this oil can reduce stretch marks.
- Clean your mascara brush. Soak your brush in coconut oil and clean it.
- Eyelash enhancer. Apply some coconut oil and enhance your eyelashes.
- Removes wax from the skin.
- Lubricant. Use it as a lubricant but be careful not to use it with condoms.
- Reduces varicose veins. Coconut oil reduces varicose veins.
- Reduces cellulite. Apply this oil on the problematic area and you will notice improvements.
- Bath oil. Heat one cup of coconut oil and remove it from the heat 2 minutes later. Add 15 drops of some essential oil. Stir it well and pour into molds. When it cools put one mold in the water and allow it to dissolve.
- Tattoo moisturizer. Apply some coconut oil on your tattoo.